There aren't many games that can be considered great when we're talking about pick-up-and-play game. There are some great games like Stick Hero or Dumb Ways to Die, but that's it, most of great games are not a pick-up-and-play, it need our full attention.
Games that aren't pick-up-and-play can't be played while you're waiting in short line. Because once you left the game, you'll need to pickup where you left at the same pace. You can't just finish the game where you want, you'll need to spend some amount of time to finish what you started. This is where Hipster Whale wants to improve.
This is where Crossy Road comes in. In crossy road, you will have to (yes) cross the road to get as far as possible. This is an endless crossing game, and you just need to go there, defeat your friend score. Avoid hitting cars, trains, drowned into the river, or being swooped by eagle. I have some reasons why you should play this game.
- Built for quick session. You only have one live, once you die it all reset to 0.
- So many playable characters available. There are various characters available and all have their own unique voice and environment.
- Easy to play, hard to master. It really do!
- Conserve battery feature. Yes, it will reduce frame rate, but at the same time, you won't have to afraid of running out of battery while playing.
- Game Center friends scores show up in the road. So your friends can see you once you beat their score.
- Can be played in any orientation. Landscape or Portrait, one hand or two hands, you decide.
Here's a 1 minute gameplay trailer that I've created for you.
Tips and Tricks [UPDATED]
I’ve published this post about 2 weeks ago, but until now, I still spent some of my free time playing this games. I figure out some of you might experience a similar experience with me. So, I decided to share some cheats (tips and tricks) that I’ve found while playing the game. Hopefully these cheats can increase your high score as well 😊
- Be Patient. My first and most important tips for playing this game. I’m pretty sure you’ve all figured this out. But, even one step you’re impatient, you’ll be facing the consequences. So make sure you’ve thought your step two or three taps forward.
- Find your 'Best' Character. In other words, use what character you think suits you the best. All the characters are actually have the same speed. What makes them different is the effect when they're hopping and the environment. This small little detail might/won't affect you, but for me, black sheep is my best shot for breaking the high score.
- Master the Railroad. This is the easiest step to master. Before you cross the railroad, you just make sure that the red light isn’t blinking. If the red light is blinking it means the train will be crossing in any moment. You still have some millisecond to cross though.
- Master the Water. Crossing the river is one of the hardest task in this game. The trick actually is in when you hop in a log. If your next log happens to flow in the same direction with your current log, hop quickly to the next one. Otherwise, wait a bit until you’re not far from the end of river, then hop to the other wood that flow reversely. So, during your hop, you need to be positioned in the middle of the screen.
- Hipster Whale. It will be available for you on the river and it will be act like the log, if you saw one be sure to hop on that whale and you'll get the characters right away.
After those basic tips, the hardest part of playing this game is of course crossing the road. Crossing the road seems simple if it only involves two to three lanes in the road. But if it’s involving more than it, it should be a different challenge itself. I’m separating tips for crossing the road because it has different strategy when crossing more than three lanes.
- Don’t be afraid to cross. Once you see two to three gaps available, tap and move up. You can always swipe in any direction to avoid the cars or trucks. You can even swipe backward if you don’t have any possible move to move backward.
- Watch out for the Police Cars. Sometimes there will be some particular light, this is a sign of police car about to pass through. The speed of this car is as fast as train, so if you can’t pass through that lane in one tap, you better find a way to wait until the police car passing through.
- Be fast but accurate. Make sure you have a fast tap ability to avoid heavy traffic. Aim for the green grass and before doing the fast tap, count your total tap first.
- Pause a Hop Mid-Tap. During your crossing journey, you can stop your hop anytime by tap and hold the screen. My suggestion is when you arrive at the green area, tap and hold it so you won't be hopping over the road.
For secret characters, there are approximately six characters that can be unlocked inside the game. You won't be find any of these characters from the 100 coins gacha. I have found some way to unlock some of the secret characters and will keep you update if I find another secret characters.
- Hipster Whale. Hipster Whale like I've said earlier in this article can be found in the stream. You will encounter Hipster Whale when you're crossing the river. Hop on this creature and you'll have the character in your character list.
- Drop Bear. With the Australia update there are some iconic Australia characters that can be acquired from the gancha. You will know if the character is an Australian by their 'sandy' environment. Use this Australia character you will come across a tree with a cute blueberry colored bear. Hop to this tree and you will have Drop Bear on your list.
These three developer characters, you have to get a score that close enough with your current high score. The limit is 50. So for example, if your top score is 118, you have to earn 50, but if your top score is 218, you have to earn 168.
- Ben Weatherhall. Use Dark Lord.
- Andy Sum. Use Mallard.
- Matt Hall. Use Lucky Cat.