Pocket Trend has been known for aiming a look alike Pokemon Game such as Hunter Island and Dragon Island Blue. Not just Pocket Trend that has been aiming such game mechanic. Monster Galaxy, Mino Monsters, and many other similar game are searching for the right mechanic to clone Pokemon in iOS.
Last week we witnessed another Pokemon wanna be released. Unlike other previous games, Micromon has tried really hard to produce the game mechanic in a really good way. The result shows itself. Micromon has topped the #1 paid app in the US iTunes AppStore.
Micromon telling a story about a kid that got sucked into a digital world called Pixekai where digital human are making friends with the so-called micromon. In this digital world we as the new kid in the block have to be a S-ranked tamers to be able to get out of the digital world.
Just like Pokemon we will also be offered with free monsters at first. 5 Micromons with Normal, Fire, Water, Air, and Mineral elemental. Our journey as a S-ranked tamer will start in Research area, continued with Water country, Fire country, Wind, and lastly Mineral country.
During that journey, like all Pokemon game, we will encounter with many micromon starting from 1-star Common micromons to 7-star Godly (never encounter this micromon yet) micromons. All of them can be caught depending on its rarity with the chip (pokeball in pokemon). The higher the rank of the micromon, the possibility to capture the micromon will be lower. Not only that, in one encounter we will only be able to try to catch the micromon three times. It means after our third attempt, we won’t be able to try to catch the micromon we’ve encountered and we need to find another one.
We will also meet another tamer during our journey to test our micromon and gaining some experience. There are also the funny bad guy that will make us smile with their silly appearance. And finally like Pokemon game, there’s one rival that will always bumped into you like your soulmate.
This is what it separate itself from Pokemon. While Pokemon will only make you run around looking for Pokemon and beat the trainer and gym leader, Micromon has the quest system that empowering the whole story in the game. It also has arena where you can fight other player and gain some rank or fight your friend to show off your micromon.
Things I Like
I enjoy playing the game. I really do. Comparing this game to pokemon however would be unfair since the price of this game itself is almost cost nothing for anyone. But despite of the low price, the quality of this game can easily beat most of the Pokemon wanna be game in iOS platform.
The graphics cute and all the micromons are representing the character of each element. For example like Lunatail that a water micromon are coloured in Blue and took a shape as a dragon, or like Dinoto that took a shape of dinosaur with a volcano in its back representing a fire element micromon. Not to mention about the environment in each country that has put a really great attention in detail.
I laugh a lot when I met with the “Power Rangers” minion. They really hilarious with their colorful suits and funny comment. It made this game even more fun with the Black Root as the bad guy organization.
There are some tips that I found really useful to be used in exploring the game.
- Use two fingers while playing the game. Separated in two part, your left thumb will be used as the direction control while your right will be used for running. Double tap the run button while directing and you will be dashing forward.
- Bike. If you’ve been holding back for purchase a bike, I have some tips for you. Bike will significantly increase your movement speed, and run button will increase the speed even more. Bike won’t consume stamina, so you can always press the run button without afraid to run out of stamina. The double tap features however will be lost when you use bike. And also you won’t be encountered any micromon once you in a bike.
- Pet. Pet won't be useful for battle or experience, it's just shows up following you. Nothing particular other than that. Similar to avatar, pet will only beautify the appearance of the game.
- Shaky Grass is the secret in this game. Whenever you see a shaky tall grass, it means that you will encounter either a micromon or item in that particular grass. So if you want to find some micromon, just pay attention to that tall grass and you can find something from it.
- Look for Z’s in the weeds. When you find some Zzz in the weeds, your micromon will get the advantage to attack first.
- Confused ability is the best. Confused in this game can be count as the best ability since it deal damage while at the same time disable the opponent to move. So movement like Punch or Screech that can deal confusion to the opponent can be considered.
- Watch the Terrain Advantage. In every country, Micromon with that country element will get Terrain Advantage. With this advantage, the damage that dealt will be increased.
- Don’t mind the lower D.R Micromon. Development Rate (D.R) play a lot of portion in micromon attribute. The higher the D.R, the higher attribute a micromon can reach, it means more defense, more damage, HP, and so on. The bottom limit is D.R 5, more than five can be counted as a good micromon to capture, while below that value will not worth the capture, unless you just want to complete your collection.
- When catching a micromon, don’t bother about its health. Unlike pokemon where lower health means easier catch. In micromon, the probability of catching micromon are only from the quality of your chips. So don’t bother to attack the micromon, just capture it right away.
- Capture a Micromon won’t replenish your HP. When a micromon got captured, your micromon won’t get any experience like when you defeat the enemy micromon. Your micromon won’t get its health and stamina replenished as well.
- Everytime you purchase something, the game will be autosaved. When you purchase something from the store, the game will be saved directly. This is different compared when you buy an egg from the lucky panel, the game won’t be saved. The game will be saved when you rotate the lucky spinner.
- Secret Module. Secret Module is a place where you can capture a higher D.R micromon in 2 mins by paying 200 diamonds. Don’t be afraid, if you don’t find anything, just kill the process and your diamond will be safe and sound (make sure you save the game before paying the diamonds).
- Always kept Silver/Gold Egg and break them only when you need it. Silver/Gold Egg will give you a 10 D.R micromon with a level of your team average level. So if you want to save some time, you might want to save your egg and spin it only when you feel like the level will be pretty high enough.
- Diamonds will be given everytime you beat Legion members. 150 diamonds every time you beat Legion members. This diamond can be used to purchase IAP item in the store. Starting from Micromon, Avatars, and even a bike.
- Autosave. With its latest update, Micromon now support an autosave function. This function will be triggered everytime you’re moving into another area (when you move then a black screen appeared and now loading with diskette image shows up).
- Like FB page, got 100 diamonds free. You can get extra diamonds by like the developer FB page. To do this, you go to Store Panel, Other, then press on the Offer and News.
Update: You can catch a godly micromon after you finished the game. You can follow the steps to catch the godly micromon here
While it can be easily called as Pokemon wanna be, Micromon still proves itself as a top notch game in iOS platform. Added with their own touch, Pocket Trend has proven themselves deserve in #1 spot places. If you’re a catch’em all lover, you will have to buy this game, instantly.