Another simulation game coming into my pocket. After tons of fun playing life simulation game called Castaway Paradise, I decided to buy another simulation game. This time I decided to go with Christian West racing simulation game, Motorsport Manager.
In Motorsport Manager, you play as what it's entitled for, a racing team manager. You decide on almost everything for a racing team would do in order to win the championship. Yes, you're making decision from the headquarter stuffs, the car technology, the drivers, until the qualifying strategy, and of course the strategy during the race.
Things I Like
At first, I don’t really psyche about the game since the screenshot of the game doesn’t really show anything. But after I played for a while, I found that this game involved so many decision to take.
As a racing team owner, we are needed to take so many decisions. One of them is the dilemmatic decision that always rise up in the surface. Which part of the car need to be upgraded, is it the aerodynamics? or is it the design? You need to be decisive on that based on your monthly income and your budget.
Or maybe when one of your staffs/drivers is going to out of their contract. Would you extend the contract? Or you choose to ignore it and find a new one? This kind of decision as a matter of fact, is only the most basic decision that you have to make in the game.
There are some more decisions that you have to made, at the qualifying and at the race itself. In the qualifying race, you have to make decision on four things, Gear Ratio, Aerodynamics, Tyre, and total laps you want your racer to go with. All this decision will be needed to search for the best lap position as well as your strategy on the real race.
The race itself is also in another level of decision making. During the race you’ll have to decide on the strategy of each drivers (you have two). This will involve driver’s Driving Style and Pitstop strategy. It will be all in your hand, do you want your driver to drive normally? or you need them to push it forward? or maybe a bit more conservative to save up the tyre? It’s all in your hands.
At last, what I love the most in the game beside the decision making, is the interaction. The game really puts interaction in a fun way. It has a social feed where fan, sponsors, teams, and medias can put all their thought on it. During the race, the drivers will also give their thoughts if the tyre needed to be changed, or they need to be pushed in order to gain more lap time. This kind of interaction makes the game more lively.
Tips & Tricks
There are some tips that I think can help you winning the Championship with ease.
- Pay attention to TIPS before Qualifying. Before the qualifier, there will be expert tips that given to you. This tips has been proven to work very well during the qualifier and race. So don’t miss this one out.
- Choose more expensive upgrade. Sometimes there will be a dilemma to decide which part of the car to upgrade. If you’re facing this, take this to upgrade the one which has a bigger effect to your car. Don’t worry about the price, there’s always a price for everything.
- Pay attention to the weather. Weather also takes part in winning the race. Using the right tyre for the right weather will greatly improve the car’s performance. Always check the weather, when will it be changed. Usually I change the tire on the mark of 7 mins before the weather changed.
- Choose tyre wisely. This is where your decision will change how you lead or fail the race. The most difficult decision is when to choose soft/hard tyre. The easiest way, when you see the weather is sunny, use a hard tire. When it’s more cloudy, use soft tyre.
- Driving tips. Use conserve style when you can’t pass an opponent, or you have way in front of your opponent. Use push when the opponent in front of you is pit-stopping their car.
- Pit stop when tyre only left with a quarter. This will increase your effectiveness when racing. But don’t forget, rain weather change always come first. So even if your tyre still left with so many durability left, once it’s raining, go to pit stop directly.
- Don’t worry at losing the championship. On the first attempt of your series (on any tier), you might losing quite couple of times (or even worse). Don’t worry and move to other countries on the next season if you lose. Your team will get better eventually and winning is no longer a difficult task for you as the time goes by.
MSM has a lot of variety. When you finish a tier, you’ll find a more difficult and faster opponents than your current tier. It will make you keep re-thinking your decision and you will have a really good time while playing this game. For a racing simulation game, this might be one if not the best in this genre.